History of 142 Squadron

142 Mimico Squadron was chartered by the Air Cadet League of Canada on July 2nd, 1942 under the sponsorship of the Rotary Club of Mimico.  The old Mimico High School was the first Squadron Headquarters, establishing an affiliation that continues to this day.

Mimico Squadron proudly displays the winged sphinx emblem and ‘Determination’ motto of No. 142 Squadron of the Royal Air Force.  Our wartime RAF namesake was a Bomber Command Squadron equipped with Wellington and Mosquito aircraft.  That Squadron was disbanded following World War II but its tradition remains right here in Mimico.            

The Lakeshore Board of Education took over Squadron sponsorship in 1945, and was assumed by the Etobicoke Board of Education in 1967 when the school boards amalgamated.  Branch 217, now amalgamated with Branch 3, of the Royal Canadian Legion has also assisted the Squadron with financial support and facilities on many occasions.  The new branch is RCL Branch 643, Flight Lieutenant David Ernest Hornell, VC.

In 1994 the John English Junior Middle School and Community Center occupied the old Mimico High School premises, but 142 Squadron remains a significant occupant and proud part of the building’s history.

In late 2013, 142 moved to new facilities at the Captain Bellenden Seymour
Hutcheson VC Armoury. In September 2015, the squadron moved to its’ current location at Fort York Armoury, 660 Fleet Street, Toronto, where we have begun a relationship with the 32 Signals Regiment.

Since 1942, over 5,000 young Canadians have benefited from Air Cadet training with 142 Squadron. Of those, more than 70 received flying scholarships and won their coveted pilot’s wings.  Literally hundreds have received advanced training in such other disciplines as aeromechanics, leadership and wilderness survival instruction techniques.

In its 74 year history, 142 Squadron has won many trophies, honors and awards as a unit.  Most coveted among these is the Lord Stathcona Trust Shield awarded to the most proficient Air Cadet Squadron in Ontario.  Since the award’s inception in 1947, Mimico Squadron has placed second 7 times and won it 10 times.  It is a record of which we are justifiably proud and signifies a strong ‘Determination’ to provide the finest youth training experience possible to the young people of the Mimico area.

PAST COMMANDING OFFICERS

July 1942 to Aug. 1943

Flight Lieutenant W. Denny

Sept. 1943 to Aug. 1945

Flight Lieutenant C.M. Coo

Sept. 1945 to Aug. 1957

Squadron Leader C.F. Burns

Sept. 1957 to Aug. 1965

Flight Lieutenant A.J. Edmonds

Sept. 1965 to June 1972

Flight Lieutenant D.D. Hayden

July 1972 to May 1979

Captain B.D. Woodlock

June 1979 to May 1983

Captain E.M. Vince

June 1983 to May 1986

Captain O.R. Furda

June 1986 to April 1989

Captain E.M. Vince

May 1989 to Sept. 1993

Captain K.H. Ables

Sept. 1993 to June 1996

Captain B.R.J. Young

June 1996 to June 2000

Captain J.D. Booton

June 2000 to June 2003

Captain E. Medina

June 2003 to June 2006

Captain R. M. Craddock

June 2006 to Sept 2009

Captain J.D. Booton

Sept 2009 to June 2012

Captain A. Stafrace

June 2012 to June 2015

Major R.C. Leswick, CD, BA

June 2015 to Present

Major R. Rangel-Bron